The National Service Scheme (NSS) was evolved and introduced by the Government of India in the year 1969. It aims in developing among students the sense of participation in nation building, through social work. This deepens the understanding of social environment and enriches their personality through actual participation in the day-to-day activities of the society. This process of learning is not only desirable supplement of the classroom education but it also develops a sense of responsibility in the students.
- To educate through community service.
- The motto is Not Me but you.
The objectives of the NSS can be classified under two broad categories:
- Overall objectives
- Specific objectives
- OVERALL OBJECTIVES:
The overall objective of national service scheme is “PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT”. Service to the community is the activity through which this objective is sought to be attained.
- SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES:
The more specific objectives of the National Service Scheme are to arouse students’ conscience and to provide him with the opportunity:
- To work with and among people,
- To enhance his knowledge of himself and community through confrontation through reality,
- To put his scholarship to practical use in mitigating at least some of the social problems,
- To engage in creative and constructive social activity,
- To gain skills in exercise of democratic leadership and,
- To gain skills in program development.
The activities of NSS are divided into:
- Regular activities:
- Blood detection camp, blood donation etc.
- Campus cleaning.
- Celebration of important days.
- Orientation camp.
- Participation of students in various seminars conducted all over the state.
- Various cultural activities aiming at personality development of students.
- Raising of funds for various altruistic activities.
- Miscellaneous .
- B) Special camping programs:
Special camps of 7 days duration form an integral part of the NSS activities. The camps are conducted every year in the villages. By its altruistic activities, the NSS units reach out to the backward masses. The volunteers work in the regions of hygiene education, anti-plastic campaign ad, to eradicate illiteracy, etc. The camps are also aimed at the development of durable community assets like roads, canals, sanitation and other similar projects.